Eggs are a good source of protein, but omelettes give you the opportunity to load up on flavourful and wholesome ingredients. By doing so, not only do you increase the nutritional value of the meal you’re having so that it’s more complete, you also improve the taste of the dish!
Here is a quick and easy omelette that you can make that packs a punch and provides you a balanced meal.
This page contains affiliate links.
It means that if you choose to purchase a product through my affiliate link, I will receive a small commission. But, it will not impact the price you pay. All products from these links are ones I’ve trialled and tested.
Mediterranean Omelette and Toast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 2 tbsp almonds, chopped or slivered
- 1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped
- ½ large red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup reduced fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 slices wholemeal bread, toasted
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat, add in olive oil.
- When oil is heated up, add in garlic and almonds. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes until garlic has turned a light golden brown and almonds are roasted.
- Add in shallot and fry for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add in tomatoes, bell peppers, basil, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Spread mixture evenly over pan, turn heat up to medium high, and pour eggs all over it.
- When the base of the omelette looks to be mildly set, sprinkle feta mixture over it. Let cook for 1-2 minutes to set the base more firmly before folding the omelette over in half.
- Cook the omelette for another 1-2 minutes on each side before removing from heat.
- Divide the omelette into two portions and serve each portion with 2 slices of bread.
- If your omelette crumbles and does not hold its shape during cooking, don’t panic! You can always stir it up and just serve it as loaded scrambled eggs!
- Adding almonds into an omelette, while unconventional, helps increase the protein and fibre content of your meal!